Prevention & Screening
At Heart and Health, we offer general screening and tailored screening packages for coronary and vascular disease.
Screening is encouraged for all those with a family history of cardiac or vascular illness, those who have diabetes or high blood pressure, and for people who are overweight. Smokers are also at a higher risk for coronary and vascular disease.
Preventive Screenings & Programs
Busy lifestyles, work schedules and school activities can keep us from healthy exercise and nutritious eating. Learn how you can lower your risk of heart disease by participating in the easy screenings listed below.
- Heart Score: includes a test for cholesterol, HDL and triglycerides levels; a blood sugar test; an EKG; blood pressure assessment and body-fat analysis. Blood tests can also detect the presence of certain proteins which may indicate a higher risk for coronary disease.
- Calcium Score: A low-radiation CT screening of the heart which detects calcium accumulation in the blood vessels of the heart. A build-up of calcium could mean the beginning of heart disease.
- Peripheral Vascular Disease (PVD): Peripheral vascular disease refers to disease of the blood vessels outside the heart. Tests are used to assess the veins and arteries in your body.
- Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD): Screening for vascular diseases such as peripheral arterial disease, commonly known as PAD. PAD is caused by blockages in the blood vessels which prevent the proper flow of blood to the body. Those with PAD often experience pain, swelling or a heavy feeling in the legs. Our PAD screening program assesses blood vessels going to your head, abdomen and legs.
- Smoking Cessation: Check for classes and schedules.
Our clinicians will complete a lifestyle and family history analysis that includes instruction on how to prevent heart and vascular disease. They will work with you to create a plan for you to:
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Choose a nutritious diet that includes fruits and vegetables and low-fat, whole grain foods
- Exercise regularly
- Limit alcohol consumption and quit smoking